The Plumbers local union No. 5180 of the A.F.L. was formed November 15, 1889, at Columbus, Ohio. Ten years later, on July 17, 1899, at Columbus, Ohio, a group of plumbers, 28 to be exact, assembled and organized for the purpose of making better working conditions for their Industry.
Martin Stai was elected President and Michael Ginley Secretary.
On the 20th of November, 21 members had their initiation fee paid and applied for a charter.
The United Association of Journeyman Plumbers, Gas Fitters, Steam Fitters and Steam Fitter Helpers of the United States and Canada, issued a Charter on December 9, 1899.
The 15th day of January 1900, Local 189 of Journeyman Plumber came into being, for some unknown reason, there were only 19 Charter members present for initiation. The territory of Local Union 10. 189 covered only Franklin County.
On August 20, 1900, a motion was passed that Local 189 approve of the Gas and Steam Fitters to petition for its own charter.
Local 216 then came into existence and was known as Gas and Steam Fitters Local Union 216.
During the Depression of 1929, it became necessary to merge both organizations.
April 2, 1929, Local 216 cleared into Local 189.
Today, after 100 years of organization, the total membership is 1389 members. Our territory covers Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Hocking, Marion, Pickaway, Ross, Union, Madison, Perry, and Licking Counties; a total of eleven (11) counties.